The Church was built between 1715 & 1720 by Catherine Keightly and was most likely named after her. Catherine was a grand-daughter of the Earl of Clarendon, Lord High Chancellor of England and she was a first cousin of Queens Mary & Anne. Her husband was Lucius O'Brien, grandson of the famous Maire Rua of Leminagh Castle. Lucius and Catherine did not reside at Leminagh but took up residence at Corofin House.

When the parish church at Kilnaboy fell into disrepair and the necessary support was not forthcoming to renovate it, Catherine considered the siting of a new church at Corofin. The latter was rapidly growing and was more central for the parishes of Rath & Kilnaboy, now united and served by the same vicar. A century later St Catherine's needed alteration and renovation and by 1829 the steeple and vestry had been… Read more ▶


Commission a Family History Report Order Now